Most of the Carpenters are of a quiet, unassuming, uncomplaining disposition - always ready to support any good work.

Interesting to note a common virtue among the men in the family - always showing kindness and thoughtful concern to their companions and children.

--Profiles, Portraits and Posterity of Erastus Snow Carpenter

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ora Carpenter Omerza journal April 24-May 4, 1980

24 April 1980

Library day today. We are getting more people in all the time. We have more non members than members.

25 April 1980

We woke up to some very startling news early this morning. The U.S. had made an attempt to rescue the hostages held in the U.S. Embassy in Iran. The attempt failed and eight lives were lost. How sad that we can’t live in peace with all countries of the world. I am wondering what effect this will have on the world situation.

27 April 1980

Today we had a new counselor sustained in the Stake Presidency. Brother Daley moved to New Mexico and Brother Porter was sustained as the new counselor.

29 April 1980

Ted called early this morning and said Nancy was sick. I went over and helped with the children. It rained and Ted came home early because of the rain. We needed the rain.

30 April 1980

Today is our Relief Society Homemaking day. I am on the food committee. For one of the mini classes we had a woman from Mesa 9th Ward give a demonstration on sprouting seeds. It was very interesting. We served different kinds of salads for lunch and they made one using the sprouts. It was delicious.

In the afternoon I went to a Genealogy staff meeting at Idella Hedricks home. It lasted longer than I had planned and when I got home Em was very upset. I’ll have to be more careful.

4 May 1980

Today was a special day. We went to Mesa to Sacrament Meeting for Heather’s blessing. Her Father gave her a wonderful blessing. She is such a beautiful child. Jay and Ted and their families were there. It’s so good to be with all my children and grandchildren and their families. It was a spiritual day for me. After church we went to Madge’s and visited a little while. Em was restless and tired so we didn’t stay long.

No comments: