Most of the Carpenters are of a quiet, unassuming, uncomplaining disposition - always ready to support any good work.

Interesting to note a common virtue among the men in the family - always showing kindness and thoughtful concern to their companions and children.

--Profiles, Portraits and Posterity of Erastus Snow Carpenter

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ora Carpenter Omerza journal, Nov 1-15, 1981

1 Nov 1981

Today is Sunday. Bertha and I went to our meetings then went to Mesa to the Hospital to see Nancy and the baby. She is so tiny and cute. Just perfect in every way. I am so grateful for her. Nancy was feeling fine and looked so beautiful with her little one.

2 Nov 1981

Went in to the Doctor to get the heart monitor put on. It is bigger and bulkier than I had supposed, but I guess I can manage for 24 hours. Bertha and I had a good visit.

3 Nov 1981

Bertha planned to go home tomorrow. Florence invited her to lunch today to celebrate one of the girls birthdays, so she left to go to Mesa and I left to go to the doctor to get the monitor removed. Bertha plans to come back to Mesa on Friday to a Special Interest convention. She has asked me to go to some of the meetings.

5 Nov 1981

Went to the Library today. Had a Stake Relief Society meeting in the evening so stayed over. It was ten o’clock when I got home so it was as long day.

7 Nov 1981

Went to a 7 a.m. session at the Temple with Bertha. Later we attended the seminars at the Special Interest convention. The Temple session was all Special Interest. They said they had 130 in attendance. The lecturer at the seminars were good. Then we had a nice lunch. I met several people there I hadn’t seen in some time. It was all very interesting. I left Bertha after lunch and went to see if I could help Nancy. Bertha wanted me to come back to the meetings on Sunday but I had something I had to do in my own ward on Sunday so I didn’t go to any more of the meetings. They had a banquet and dance on Saturday evening.

8 Nov 1981

Today is Sunday. The Relief society chorus sang in Sacrament meeting. Our High Councilman spoke. It was a very inspiring (spiritual) meeting.

9 Nov 1981

The doctors office called this morning to give me the results of the heart monitor. They told me I had an irregular heart beat (which I already knew). The doctor sent our some medications which I am to take for a week and then go back for another EKG. I felt so depressed all day. It was hard for me to get anything done.

10 Nov 1981

Today Madge and Linnea and Heather came to see me. I enjoyed them so much. They raised my spirits. I guess Madge felt my depression the day before when I talked to her on the phone. It certainly helped to have her and the children come.

11 Nov 1981

Today is Veteran’s day. They had a parade downtown. The children were all out of school. Just think 63 years ago since the Armistice was signed, and there has been war somewhere in the world ever since. Jay came to lunch. He is so good to me.

12 Nov 1981

Usual Library Day. Nothing special. Very few patrons.

13 Nov 1981

Went o Mesa to help Nancy. I stayed with the children while she did her shopping. I enjoy the children so much. The baby is so good. She sleeps a lot.

14 Nov 1981

Today our ward had their Fall Festival. There were homemade items to sell and dinner was served. It was an enjoyable evening.

15 Nov 1981

Today is Sunday. I gave my Relief Society lesson today. The lesson was on Trials. Since I was giving my lesson late in the month due to Stake and Ward Conference, some of the women I knew had already given theirs. Everyone told me that I would have a trial the day of or before I gave the lesson. Madge gives the same lesson in her ward and she said, “Mark my word, something will happen you will have to overcome!” I didn’t think about it but I prepared carefully. I needed to be to the church early to practice with the choir. Everything was going smoothly until I went out to start the car. A dead battery. What a blow. I was to puck up the organist so I called her and told her my plight and she had her husband take us to church. In my rush and anxiety to get a ride I forgot and left my beautiful visual aids in my car. Madge had loaned me a scripture she had printed in her beautiful hand printed script. It was all framed and was very impressive. So here I was giving my lesson with my beautiful visual aid at home.

No comments: