Most of the Carpenters are of a quiet, unassuming, uncomplaining disposition - always ready to support any good work.

Interesting to note a common virtue among the men in the family - always showing kindness and thoughtful concern to their companions and children.

--Profiles, Portraits and Posterity of Erastus Snow Carpenter

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Ora Carpenter Omerza journal, 27 July-2 August, 1981

27 July 1981

Today is Monday. I left the house this morning about 5:40 a.m. and went to stay with Madge’s children while John and Madge went to Utah business. It was very interesting being with all the children all day. We played games, put puzzles together, watched T.V. shows and just generally had a good time. John and Madge got back about 7:45. Then I went to Jay’s and picked Jason up to come home with me.

28 July 1981

Went to get my driver’s license renewed. I had to exchange an article at the store so while we were out we got Jason a pair of pants. I thought he might be bored with the shopping I had to do today but he is a real shopper. He didn’t spend his money but he enjoyed looking in the stores. On the way home we stopped and got a hamburger for lunch. In the evening we watched the preview of the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana. We enjoyed the fireworks display.

29 July 1981

Jay came to lunch today. I enjoy his coming so much. Jason and I watched the wedding of Prince Charles. Such an elaborate affair. It seemed the whole world was watching. Just after we had gone to bed a storm came up, lightning and thunder and a good shower. After it was all over I couldn’t go back to sleep.

30 July 1981

I took Jason to the Library with me. It was a long afternoon for him. He did enjoy looking at the I.G.I. He found some of the family. He was quite excited about it.

31 July 1981

Jason went home today. I thoroughly enjoyed his visit. After having some one with me two weeks in a row it seems a little lonesome.

1 August 1981

Washed the car and the clothes and cleaned the house. Spent the afternoon preparing my Relief Society lesson for tomorrow.

2 August 1981

Today is Ted &Nancy’s anniversary. This is their sixth. I am so grateful for them. I believe they are very happy together. Today I gave my lesson in Relief Society. I think it went well. The lesson was on Testimony and I gave a little extra time for the bearing of testimonies. We had a very spiritual Sacrament Meeting. We had two babies blessed and a new counselor put in the Bishopric. Mark Lamont was released and Robert Andes put in as counselor. The talks and testimonies were very inspiring.

No comments: