Most of the Carpenters are of a quiet, unassuming, uncomplaining disposition - always ready to support any good work.

Interesting to note a common virtue among the men in the family - always showing kindness and thoughtful concern to their companions and children.

--Profiles, Portraits and Posterity of Erastus Snow Carpenter

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ora Carpenter Omerza journal, March 14-19, 1981

14 March 1981

Jay came over this afternoon and changed the oil in the car. He is so good to me. He had the kids with him. I like to have them come. They didn’t stay long because they had a birthday party to go to in the evening.

In the early evening Ted and family came. We had a good visit. It’s such a joy to be with all my children and their families.

15 March 1981

Today is Sunday. I attended all my meetings. We had a very inspiring talk in Sacrament meeting by High Councilman Lynn Bates. He talked on prophecies and revelation. I always enjoy having him speak. I missed Em so much today.

16 March 1981

Most of my work today was in the yard. With a few spring rains the weeds flourish. Planted some tomato plants, mowed the lawn and cleaned up a few weeds

17 March 1981

Worked on some Genealogy and did some Visiting Teaching.

18 March 1981 (Wednesday)

This morning I went with Gladys Beals to do visiting teaching. It was an enjoyable morning. I enjoyed visiting with the sisters she visits. Later I finished my teaching for this month.

19 March 1981

Jay came to lunch today. It’s always good to have him come.

Today was also Library day. After we finished our Library work, Gladys Beals and I stayed at the Stake Center for a women’s singles conference. They served a lovely buffet. Ham, rolls, salad, cake and punch. We then went into the chapel for a program of talks and music. Our Stake President, Kent Turley and High Councilman, James South, talked. A talk by Judy Steenblik “Enduring To The End but What Do I Do in The Meantime.” Very good. A talk by Veon Shupe. “How To Live Exciting yet Tranquilly in a Turbulent World.” Alice Brinton sang “Love one Another.” The whole theme of the conference was of course, how to live happily yet single. Some very good points were brought out on living alone. It was an enjoyable evening.

It’s hard for me to think single.

No comments: